Facebook’s security breach impacted 30 million users. Fourteen million of them had their names, contact details, and sensitive information exposed including recent location check-ins.
Aside from social platforms, well-known firms such as Saks, Panera or UnderArmour were also involved in security breaches in 2018 with hundreds of millions of records breached.
According to DatingNews.com, dating sites are also vulnerable. In the last three years, the industry has had to pay hundreds of millions of dollars to victims of security breaches and identity theft.
Social platforms are having to re-think their privacy policies to avoid both security and privacy breaches. These are related but not the same. Therefore, it’s important to understand how this impacts your personal information.
WHAT IS A SECURITY BREACH
“A data breach is the intentional or unintentional release of secure or private/confidential information to an untrusted environment.”
It is one of the earliest stages of a security attack by a malicious intruder. They happen when the security policy and procedures get violated.
When information is used or released by a third and malicious third party, we have a security breach. It is intentional. That company or person uses the data for their own agenda.
WHAT IS A PRIVACY BREACH
“A privacy breach is the loss of, unauthorized access to, or disclosure of personal information.”
This is when personal information is stolen, lost, or mistakenly shared even if it is not published. It may also be a consequence of feeble business procedures.
The best way to avoid a privacy issue is to set up measures to make it hard for intruders to abuse the system or for someone to share personal information by mistake. In social media, when you access through another social media profile, you increase risk. Therefore, one way to avoid that risk is not to allow third-party logins. This makes it difficult for bots to fill out fake profiles. At LatinConexiones, we don’t allow third-party logins.
Impersonation is very common on dating sites and it can happen in two ways: someone pretends to be you or someone pretends to be someone else to hurt you. It’s our commitment to keep your personal information safe. We make it a priority to detect fake profiles and to make sure you have a pleasant experience with our platform.
WHAT ARE PRIVACY POLICIES
These policies establish how and when they will use your personal information in the company. At LatinConexiones, we have established a very strict and strong policy to protect you. You can read it here.
As a member of our community, you can also help us avoid breaches and protect your privacy by reporting any suspicious behaviors here.
WHAT IS LATINCONEXIONES DOING TO KEEP MY INFORMATION SECURE & PRIVATE?
- Our site requires little personal information from members. The less information we keep, the less risk.
- We don’t allow signup through other social platforms or any third party apps for that matter. This helps avoid others logging in for you.
- Unlike Facebook, our platform does not permit other businesses to advertise on our site. We don’t want anyone else to have access to your information.
- Our Internet Dating Excellence Association status keeps us focused on safety and privacy.
- We hunt for fake profiles, message bots, and any other type of bots powered by artificial intelligence as part of our dating site’s privacy best practices and security. We have no tolerance for impersonators.
- Our web host is Amazon Webhosting. They are one of the top web hosting services in the world and the same web hosting service used by some of the world’s biggest financial institutions for their high levels of security and constant technology updates.
It’s our commitment that you feel safe in our community, and we are always looking for ways to protect our members. We will hunt down and ban those who create fake profiles and try to compromise our community. It’s our hope that you have a genuine and safe experience in the community we worked so hard to build.
If you have any questions or suggestions, we invite you to contact us.